There are number of ways in which general absence problems can be reduced by seeking to ensure that certain procedures and management controls are in place. Here are a few of the key things to think about:
- Put in place good recruitment and selection procedures, including training for Interviewers
- Send out Job Descriptions to interviewees outlining expectations and make sure you check employment references
- Make sure you provide copies of your main policies and procedures and where they can be found.
- Keep staff involved. Make them feel part of the team.
- Make sure staff know how to feed back any issues, concerns, ideas or suggestions about development of self, team, department or school.
- Make sure all employees are aware of the absence process and what they need to do if they are absent.
- Hold regular one to one’s to check on employee wellbeing and progress
- Provide a nice environment to work in with areas where people can take a break
- Regularly review health and safety arrangements to ensure health and safety risks are managed and accidents prevented.
- Offer assisted services that might help staff such as occupational health, counselling and wellbeing workshops and make sure staff are aware they can access these services.
If you need any help with any of these points please get in touch with one of the team on 01924 907319.